Monday, March 2, 2020

Book Review: Stormbringers by Philippa Gregory

Stormbringers (Order of Darkness 2) by Philippa Gregory book cover and review
I like these characters, but somehow Stormbringers just didn't do much for me. Perhaps it's a "second book" issue? It has been a while since I read Changeling, the first book, but I remember there was a lot more excitement in that book.

Isolde and Ishraq are on the run after Isolde was accused of witchcraft. They are traveling with Luca and Freize while Luca continues his mission for the Order to find evidence of the End of Days.

And find evidence they do! We experience the Children's Crusade and the ensuing tsunami that ends it, which is of course considered to be a sign.  Then Isolde and Ishraq are accused of being the Stormbringers that caused the devastating wave.

Stormbringers starts out slow, which made me impatient. The tension mounts, and it does have an exciting ending. We meet the head of The Order of Darkness, which imparts a desire to continue the story. Ishraq, being part Arab, is constantly under scrutiny, and after meeting an Arab commander, the reader realizes this analysis may be justified. There is much to be curious about.

Fortunately, enough surprises and questions cause eager anticipation for Fools' Gold, the third installment of this four-book series. The fourth, Dark Tracks, has also been released. As for me, I'm not sure how enthused I am about continuing. For teens, Stormbringers is a pretty deep story, but those who enjoy interesting characters navigating the bedlam of the 1400s will certainly enjoy Order of Darkness.

Published by Simon Pulse, 2013
Copy obtained from the library
336 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Too bad this second book isn't as good as the first. I don't think it's a good fit for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...