Thursday, December 30, 2021

Audiobook Review: Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid, book cover and review
Good writing and character development are the standout features of Malibu Rising. Those features made it drag a bit for me, though.

The four Riva kids, Nina, Jay, Hud, and Kit, each have their own problems as well as talents. And Malibu Rising is basically their story. Their father, Nick Riva, is a star recording artist who left the family--more than once. 

All the kids are well off, living in Malibu. It hasn't always been like that, though. They all surf and everyone knows who they are. And everyone knows the Rivas' annual party is tonight. The book takes place during the 24 hours the day of the party, but there are flashbacks about everyone's lives. A lot of flashbacks. Not only about the Rivas, but about their friends and lovers who are also going to attend the party.

Reid's writing keeps you interested, but at times I just wanted to get on with the story. A bit too much, especially about their father's and mother's past and how they met. The reader knows from the prologue that there is going to be a fire the night of the party, but that turns out to be not that significant. The events at the party made me cringe -- once it actually started, I thought the book's pace really picked up. I liked the surprises and how Reid changes the points of view at just the right times.

I highly recommend the audio version of Malibu Rising. Julia Whelan does an excellent job with distinctive voices that aren't so over the top that they distract. A hard mix, when there are so many main characters. I know I've listened to other books read by her, but I'm not sure what.

I was worried that the end would be tragic, and although there is some tragedy, I really liked how it all wrapped up. If you enjoy character-driven, dramatic family stories, Malibu Rising is recommended.

Published by Ballentine, June 1, 2021. Random House Audio
eBook obtained from my library (Cloud Library)
384 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2021 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I got a copy of this one recently from Book of the Month and am looking forward to reading it in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Daisy Jones and the Six. Did you read it? How did it compare? Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...