Sunday, December 26, 2021

Book Review: Christmas at the Island Hotel, by Jenny Colgan

Christmas at the Island Hotel by Jenny Colgan book cover and review
I was just delighted by Christmas at the Island Hotel. I'm going to do something that I rarely do -- partly because I'm lazy today, and partly because it says most of what I wanted to say--I'm going to copy the Amazon description.

On the tiny, beautiful, and remote island of Mure, halfway between Scotland and Norway, a new hotel opening is a big event. New mother Flora MacKenzie and her brother Fintan are working themselves half to death to get it ready in time for Christmas. 

The new hotel’s impressive kitchens throw together two unlikely new friends: Isla Gregor is the hardworking young girl who has been a waitress in the island's cafe, dreaming of a bigger, better life now that she’s at a proper fancy hotel. Konstantin Pederson is working his way up in the hotel's kitchens too…but he is also, secretly, the only son of the Duke of Utsire. Konstantin has been sent to learn what it is to work hard for a living, before receiving his inheritance. Although he’s initially resentful, the place grows on him; he has never met anyone quite like Isla and her fellow Murians before. 

As the island’s residents and special VIP guests gather for the hotel’s grand opening gala, Christmas is in the air. But so are more than a few small-town secrets…

I really loved the characters and setting. It wasn't all about the romance, in fact, most of that happens towards the end. The drama of new motherhood, family secrets, forbidden love, jealousy, grief, and small-town life was just a perfect mix. My only complaint is that there were a lot of characters introduced pretty quickly at first. It took a while to keep them straight, especially Isla ann Iona!

I received this ARC before this book was released, and I just never got around to it. I'm so glad I finally did.  I also didn't realize this is book 4 of 5 in the Mure Island Series. I would definitely like to read some more about Mure Island, especially because there is at least one other that is a Christmas story. If you are looking for a heartwarming Christmas story, you should consider Christmas at the Island Hotel.

Published by Sphere, 2020
eARC obtained from NetGalley
352 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2021 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to get to this but, it hasn't happened yet. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A heart-warming Christmas story sounds pretty wonderful. I somehow didn't read anything like that this month (bad on me for not thinking ahead so I'd have one on hand). Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...