Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Audiobook Review: Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston book cover and review
I wanted to read Their Eyes Were Watching God because it is somewhat of a classic now, and it was part of the English curriculum when I was a librarian.

And for those reasons, I'm glad I read it. I was impressed with the writing. The descriptions are vivid and detailed, if a bit drawn out. But that is the poetic aspect of the book.

I was glad I chose the audio version because I think the dialect would have been tedious to read. The narrator, Ruby Dee, does an excellent job with the dialect as well as the voices. I'm hoping the teachers used the audio version to help the students with it.

Their Eyes Were Watching God is the story of Janie, a black woman in the 1930s. We learn a lot about black traditions, especially when it came to how women were treated. I would recommend -- the audio version -- if you are interested in the subject.

Published by J. B. Lippincott, 1937
Audiobook obtained from libro.fm
297 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2023 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book when I read it years ago, but listening to the audio sounds like a good idea. I find (now that I am better at audio books) that any book with a dialect or accent is enhanced by a well done audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being really impressed by the writing, too. To think this book was nearly dismissed to the trash heap of history if not for Toni Morrison.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...