Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book Review: Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Going Bovine is one of the most unique books I’ve ever read. I’m not sure how to describe it.

Cameron is sixteen, and is somewhat of a misfit in school. He doesn’t have many friends, and it doesn’t help that he begins to behave very strangely. It turns out, Cameron has a disease that literally makes you go mad – Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (otherwise known as “mad cow.”) There is no cure for this disease, so very soon Cameron ends up in the hospital.

Cameron’s mind is going, so the rest of the story is a dream-like adventure full of unlikely situations and much humor for Cameron and his friend Gonzo, who is a hypochondriac dwarf. There’s an angel named Dulcie, and a yard gnome (who is alive) named Balder, and several other very colorful characters.

I tried to like this, and there were parts that I did like, but mostly I just wanted this book to be over. I understand that Cameron grew during this story; he came to terms with his destiny. I just thought everything was a bit too crazy for me, and it went on too long.

I appreciate Libba Bray’s creativity, believe me. For most of the book, I kept thinking, “now, where did she come up with THIS????” Going Bovine hasn’t circulated much in my library. I can think of one or two people who might appreciate this book, but as with many award winners, I don’t think this book appeals to most teens. Please comment if you’ve had a different experience with you teen patrons. I guess I’d recommend this to teens who like a contemporary book that’s a little quirky.


Published by Delacorte Press, 2009
Copy obtained from the library
480 pages (qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)


Rating: 2.5/5

Note:  Don't forget to enter my giveaway, if you haven't already!




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I love the cover of "Going Bovine" I'm looking forward to the time when I can discuss the cover of my novel with the publisher. What excitement.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the honest review. It sounds very artsy. Like some people will just get and love it and some will be like... "meh!" I don't think it is a read for me, but thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/going-bovine-by-libba-bray.html

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...