Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book Review: The Lover's Dictionary, by David Levithan

The Lover’s Dictionary is a beautifully written book. Its unique format allows you to just pick it up and flip to any page and read it. Sort of like a coffee table book – only it’s little and doesn’t have any pictures.

Levithan’s dictionary entries are touching and sweet but some are painful and take your breath away. But that’s love, right?  It is all thought provoking, and there were passages that I marked to share with the love of my life.

My only complaint is that sometimes I didn’t think the definition really defined the word it was supposed to represent, but that’s just my opinion, and I didn’t care.  With a poetically written passage, I’m sure the meaning is subjective to each person’s interpretation. 

I’m not going to rate this book, because I don’t know how to do that. I’d recommend this to anyone in love, or those who want to be in love, or have been in love.  (It’s a book about love, get it?) This is an adult book; it doesn’t have anything that’s offensive (some mention of sex and a few bad words), I just don’t think the subject matter will engage many teens.

Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2011
My own purchased copy
211 pages

Don't forget my giveaway if you haven't entered yet!





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review - I love books like this and it's going straight on the wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of now, I haven't yet found a copy of this in bookstores here, and reading this review got me even more anxious to get a copy of this book. And David's got another book on the way this September, I am so excited!!!

    And thanks for answering the quiz on my blog, your score wasn't that bad. No one's going to flunk you out of YA Reading 101, don't worry :D Your strategy for answering the quiz was what also helped me with it. And it does help too that I've seen some of those books every time I visit bookstores - which is quite often :D

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I just don't know! I have been on the fence about this book for months! I just don't get how it can be that good when it is just little snippets.
    But I do trust David Levithan, he is a very unique author, and I do trust you. So I may have to give this one a shot and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...