Thursday, June 30, 2011

Book Review: Very Bad Men, by Harry Dolan

Very Bad Men is full of twists and turns, exciting characters, and will keep you guessing until the very last page.

I got to know David Loogan and Detective Elizabeth Waishkey in Dolan’s first novel, Bad Things Happen, so when I was asked if I would like to read an advanced copy of his newest book I jumped at the chance. I don’t feel it is necessary to read the first book – this one stands alone--but I think I probably loved the characters more because I felt like they were old friends.

Anthony Lark is our bad guy in this one, and he’s made a list of people who he intends to kill. All of these men were involved in a robbery gone bad seventeen years ago. So, what is intriguing about this story is that the reader knows from the beginning who’s doing the killing, but finding Lark, while important, isn’t what the book is about. It’s about figuring out why Lark wants these people dead, and how all the side characters fit into the picture.

There’s politics involved – a senator and a woman running for senator. There are troubled children, clandestine romances, kidnapping, murder, violence, and non-stop action in this tale. There are many characters, which may turn off some readers, but Dolan does a good job of keeping them clearly delineated.

If you like a good mystery, with lots of twists and turns, and well-described characters that are easy to get attached to, I highly recommend Dolan’s books.

Published by G.P. Putnam’s Sons, July 7, 2011
ARC obtained from the publisher for review
412 pages (qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I love mysteries! This one sounds perfect with all the twists and turns. I have to get my hands on the first book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I abolutely cannot wait to read this one, I can just imagine on Loogan and Elizabeth maybe teaming up to crack the case??? You liked this one more which means I'm surely in for a great read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...