Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Review: Flip, by Martin Bedford

Flip takes an unbelievable premise and sucks you right in to this world without a second thought.

Alex wakes up one morning and he’s in Philip’s (Flip’s) body--and in Flip's house, and in his room, and in his bed. I know – there’s no way this can happen, and I just don’t think this story is worth reading....but..... Bedford does a great job of telling this story in a way that puts you in Alex’s head. You will cry with him, feel his desperation, and even get angry with him. Most of all you will root for him to somehow figure out what is going on.

Bedford does a great job with small details about the difficulties of being thrown into someone else’s body. Things like having difficulty walking and keeping your balance. And, what it’s like to go to the bathroom, and feel like you are touching someone else! Or, being asked how your dog got his name and not knowing. I think the story is also more believable because Alex finally finds Rob, who is apparently going through the same thing as Alex. The conversations with Rob give the story much credibility and add a lot of compassion. (I can’t believe I just said this story is credible!)

I waited and waited for Alex to finally confide in someone who would believe him. But, put yourself in that position. Would you believe this if someone told you? I think the reactions of those involved were very realistic. Flip’s parents understandably think there is some psychological problem with their son. Alex’s parents think Flip is a nutcase and call the police. It all makes perfect sense, but you can just feel the frustration, and I wanted to jump in the book and help this poor child!

After struggling through this situation with Alex, I was pleased with the ending. Everything isn’t perfect, but there’s some hope and even a bit of happiness. This would be a great book for reluctant boy readers. There’s a lot to think about, and the story is well-paced. I think teens who enjoy a good paranormal, time-travel, or science fiction book will be entertained by this one.

Published by Wendy Lamb, April 5, 2011
ARC obtained from Random Buzzers
258 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. That's a creepy premise! I can't imagine waking up in another person's body. usually don't read much of sci-fi books, but I might give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the second person I've seen review this book and both reviews were positive. I think I'm going to have to read it, not just for myself (though I think I'll like it a lot), but for my reluctant boy readers at the library. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite (adult) reads is Charles de Lint's Trader. It sounds like the premise is similar. This sort of story could easily become cheesy (weren't there a bunch of body-switching movies in the late '80s that used this premise?), but I think in the hands of a capable author, it has the potential to work.

    I may have to check this one out. It sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...