Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Book Review: A Certain October, by Angela Johnson

While I found A Certain October entertaining enough as I read it, I don't think it is a memorable book.

Scotty stays busy with her friends and family and taking care of Keone, her autistic little brother. A terrible accident kills a new friend of Scotty's and puts her brother in a coma. Scotty blames herself.

That's pretty much it. We get to know Scotty and her friends, then we experience the terrible accident and go through Scotty's turmoil afterwards.

The book is very short and quickly read, however I wouldn't necessarily recommend A Certain October to reluctant readers because even I was confused with the non-linear timeline. Other than that, the writing was easily read, and Scotty is an interesting, realistic teen character.

I just don't know when I would recommend A Certain October except to girls wanting a quick read. I've read several of Angela Johnson's other books and enjoyed them much more than this one. I would recommend The First Part Last in a heartbeat (and have many times!)

Published by Simon & Schuster, August 28, 2012
Copy obtained from the library
158 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: 2.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...