Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Review: Prodigy, by Marie Lu @Marie_Lu

Oh, Prodigy, you definitely did not disappoint. I don't know why, but I really connected with the characters in Legend (the first book), as well as the writing, and plot, and Prodigy just kept me enthralled from the first page to the last.

This is a book about Day and June -- the characters that I connected with on such an emotional level in Legend. So, of course I loved this book. Not to mention that there's lots of action and danger and fighting and surviving that also kept me going.

We get to leave Los Angeles and travel to other cities in the Republic. There are some new characters to love (and hate) and Day and June are never safe. They are always trying to figure out who they can trust...and all the way to the end, we still aren't sure. That's another reason I love these books. The characters really have to fend for themselves, and each other. They really watch out for each other, because they really don't have anyone else to trust.

There's a romance that continues to bloom between our two main characters, but they both are conflicted at times with other interests involving the opposite sex. I wouldn't really call it a love triangle, though.

For a second book, there's lots of plot. Prodigy isn't a "filler." We learn a lot about the Empire, the Colonies, the Patriots, and much about the origin of the conflict is revealed. At the end, we hope that Day and June are in a position to better the lives of the people, but there's also a shocking revelation.

I, of course, can't wait until the next book in the Legend Series. I must find out what happens! Anyone who enjoyed Legend will love this one, and the sooner the better. If you haven't begun the series yet, I highly recommend it. Some would say there are some formulaic elements, but the characters are what grabbed me in Prodigy, as they did in Legend.

Published by Putnam, January 29. 2013
ARC obtained from Around the World ARC Tours
371 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm the only person left who has not read Legend! Since you gave five stars to both I need to make it a priority to read them sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear this is a good one. I'll add it to my list of books to buy for my school library right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea it is so nice when a sequel novel can stand alone and not be a filler. I enjoyed Legend too. Day and June were such a great team that I'm excited to see where their story goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the tip about Google Reader. I did what you said and voila there were the garbage cans and I was able to continue cleaning up the blogs I am following.

    I have lots of students who are fans of Legend so I imagine I'll have a big line for Prodigy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one, especially all the action. I felt like the relationships got all tangled up, so it'll be interesting to see how all of that turns out in book 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this one too! Great to read your thoughts on it. And that shocking revelation! I can not wait for Book 3!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not the only one Cari! I haven't read this one either but I have it in my kindle. I love your review! It makes me more excited to read Prodigy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...