Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review:Prophecy by Ellen Oh

I'm not sure what to say about Prophecy. I enjoyed the book while I was reading, but it didn't blow me away. I'm feeling kind of ambivalent, and I'm not sure why.

Kira is the niece of the King. She's a warrior and a demon slayer, and everyone is afraid of her. Not your typical female. The Seven Kingdoms are under attack, and Kira's main job is to guard the crown prince. When the enemy army is coming and Kira senses demons, she must run away with the prince.

Most of the book is Kira's adventures keeping the prince away from the bad guys. And there are a lot of bad guys. There are a lot of characters which I found a little confusing, as well as all of the kingdoms (which ones are good? which ones have fallen?) All of the names of people and kingdoms are very strange. I know this is a creative element, but it was a bit much for me.

Also, there are often italicized words in a foreign language. They are italicized only the first time they are used and never defined. I was reading an eARC, so this could change, but I expected a glossary somewhere? Otherwise, what is the point? Several times I couldn't tell what was being described by the context.

I enjoyed the lore and the world. There are three things our heroes must find to defeat the demons. One of them is part of the quest in this book. I suspect the other two are going to be tackled in the next books. Some of Kira's escapes were a bit to contrived. That is one reason fantasy is not my favorite genre. If your hero is in trouble, just make up some magical creature or item to save them. I felt like that happened quite a bit in Prophecy.

I enjoyed Prophecy. I never wanted to quit. I just don't know if I liked it enough to read any more of The Dragon King Chronicles. If fantasy is your thing, you might like Prophecy a lot more than I did.

Published by HarperTeen, January 2, 2013
Copy obtained from Edelweiss
320 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, this is the second time I've read a meh review on this one. I wanted to read it pretty badly at first, because "Dragon King" sounded good to me, as a fantasy fan, but now I'm less certain.

    What is it with fantasy books and having "seven kingdoms", though? Graceling and A Game of Thrones also have seven kingdoms in their fantasy worlds-- maybe seven just sounds good?! Anyway, great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting observation. Seven is a "lucky" number, so maybe that's why. There is some history about England -- used to be seven kingdoms that formed the Kingdom of England (according to Wikipedia.)

      I've read some good reviews as well as not so good of this one. If you are a big fantasy fan, you should probably give it a go.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, it sounds almost boring when you put it that way-just fight after fight. I get tired of movies like that too, there should be more plot. I'll probably still check this out but I'll keep your review in mind!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...