Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Book Review: Deep Betrayal, by Anne Greenwood Brown

Deep Betrayal is an entertaining sequel to Lies Beneath

Lily hasn't seen Calder for over a month. She does't know where he is, and she doesn't like being land-locked. She wants to return to her home on Lake Superior and join her mom and dad.

When her parents show up for her graduation, and Calder does too, Lily insists on telling her father that he's a merman, just like Calder. She wants to help her father, but Calder doesn't think it a good idea.

Lily does return with her parents to the lake, and her father becomes what he was meant to be. But also, dead bodies start turning up on the lake. Lily and Calder are trying to catch the mermaids that are doing the killing.

I found Deep Betrayal to be very interesting. I really wanted to continue with Lily and Calder's story, and I wasn't disappointed. The writing is easy, the story moves quickly, and the mermaid lore is clever. The romance is OK, but I wouldn't say it sizzles. I'm just not blown away by these characters. I think I'm a little confused about parts of the mermaid lore. For example, Lily's life was in danger when she left the lake, and now that she's returned, all that danger just seemed to fizzle out. I never wanted to stop reading -- Deep Betrayal held my interest, but on the other hand, I wasn't ever "wowed."

If you enjoyed Lies Beneath, you will certainly enjoy Deep Betrayal, and although Deep Betrayal could be read without the first book, I think you will greatly benefit from having the back story of the characters. So I highly recommend your read Lies Beneath first.

Deep Betrayal is another in a recent collection of mermaid books, that fans of  these creatures will want to experience.

Published by Delacorte BFYR, March 12, 2013
eARC obtained from NetGalley
352 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I did enjoy the first one and can't wait to read this one. I love the mermaid lore in these books too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...