Monday, March 18, 2013

Book Review: Six Years, by Harlan Coben @HarlanCoben

I just finished Six Years and I can hardly catch my breath. I love the twisted mysteries that Harlan Coben writes, and Six Years is no exception.

In the prologue, Jake is attending the wedding of the love of his life, Natalie, to someone else. Natalie's last words to Jake are to make him promise to not bother her and her new husband, Todd.

Six Years later, Jake sees an obituary for Todd and can't keep himself from attending the funeral. As he hides in the back, he realizes that Natalie isn't there. Todd's wife is someone different, and Todd has two children that are teenagers, making it impossible for them to be Natalie's children. He also finds out that Todd was murdered.

Thus begins Jake's quest to find Natalie. Everywhere he turns, things don't make sense. People that should know her claim to not remember her. Things turn violent when some thugs kidnap Jake, and he realizes that they are looking for Natalie too, and they think Jake knows where she is!

As usual, you can't take anything for granted when your meet people and evaluate the situations Jake gets into. I can't recall ever reading a book and thinking "What the heck?!?" so MANY times. Talk about twists. This is what I love about Coben. Everything is unexpected--nothing is as it seems. I can't believe anyone reading this saying, "Well, I knew how it was going to turn out way before the end." If you are that person, either you are Harlan Coben, or you should be writing books. And I kind of feel sorry for you because the surprises are so much fun!

Six Years, as is common in all of Coben's books, hooks you from about page ten and after that you will give up eating, sleeping, and maybe have to call in sick to work. I've often recommended his books to reluctant readers -- if you can get them to not worry about the length -- once they get started, they will be sucked in until the end.

I highly recommend Six Years to mystery, adventure, thriller fans of all ages. Not to be missed. And, if you've never read a Coben mystery, now's the time!

Published by Dutton, Marcy 19, 2013
eARC obtained from NetGalley
368 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Haha well it's so rare that I get surprised by twists so you definitely have me super intrigued I have to check out this author!! Great review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Six Years, as is common in all of Coben's books, hooks you from about page ten and after that you will give up eating, sleeping, and maybe have to call in sick to work." <-- I've never read one of his books, but this sentence alone makes me want to give him a try! :-)

    It sounds like I should start with this book. I love trippy mysteries where you feel like you can't trust anyone. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...