Thursday, July 4, 2013

Book Review: Right of Way, by Lauren Barnholdt

Some of this has to do with my being way beyond the target age for this book, but I just could not connect with Right of Way.

Peyton gets stranded at her uncle's wedding in Florida. She was supposed to run away to North Carolina with her friend, but at the last minute her friend backed out. Jace agrees to take her home -- to CONNECTICUT!! Jace and Peyton have a history -- they met last year and had a long-distance relationship for a while but it ended mysteriously. So they take off for Connecticut -- but Peyton plans on ditching Jace in North Carolina and follow her original plan to run away.

Mostly, I couldn't stand the stupid decisions (one after the other) that BOTH characters made. I didn't buy the romantic connection -- but maybe that's because I was so frustrated with these characters. First of all, Jace -- the valedictorian -- is shocked to find out it's over 20 hours to Connecticut. Didn't even consider that before offering to drive her all that way. He's decided to MISS his graduation, and the speech he's supposed to give to take Peyton home. Uh-huh.

I didn't get into the interactions between Jace and Peyton. There is no honesty and I just didn't buy the need for all the secrecy.  When the reason is revealed why Jace stopped calling Peyton, I just couldn't believe how petty it was. When the reason Peyton is running away is revealed, Jace tells her she is not making a very logical decision -- running away won't help the situation -- and I totally agree.  But Peyton just got pissed.

Then, in the last five pages, they both come to their senses, and live happily ever after. Really?? Everything is all the sudden OK? Just forget all those other issues we've been dealing with, "It will all be OK."  I'm not kidding. Right of Way wrapped up so fast I felt cheated. And even more frustrated than I did during the rest of the book.

OK. I realize I'm not the target audience. I'm old. But I give most teens more credit than this author does, I guess. The book was NOT cute enough to overlook the stupid premise. And, some teens will eat Right of Way up. But not all of them. I will be careful about which teens I recommend Right of Way to.

Published by Simon Pulse, July 9, 2013
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
320 pages

Rating: 2/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Ah, too bad. I actually loved Barnholdt's Two Way Street and was excited for this one. That said, this one sounds very frustrating. I hate when endings are summed up quickly and sloppily. I might still pick this up, but I will definitely wait for it to come to library. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Two Way Street, but the way this book has been summarized I don't think I'll like it very much. I don't like it when smart characters make stupid decisions:P Thanks for the review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...