Monday, July 22, 2013

Book Review: The Darkest Minds, by Alexandra Bracken @alexbracken

While I didn't find The Darkest Minds to be anything especially unique, I still thoroughly enjoyed the reading experience. I've been wanting to read this book since it came out, but it was always checked out of my library -- I had to wait until it came back for the summer. That's got to say something good about The Darkest Minds!

At the beginning, a huge number of adolescents are dying from a virus. Then, it turns out, those that didn't die are gifted with special powers. These powers are seen as a danger to the adults, so the government incarcerates all of the kids in camps. Of course the government tells the public they are "curing" the kids, but since our story is told from the perspective of Ruby, who is in one of these camps, we know the truth.

There are actually different levels of powers, designated by colors. Depending on what "color" you are, you may be killed, or you may be allowed to basically be a slave in the camp. So you can probably guess, Ruby escapes from the camp with the help of some adults who claim to be fighting for the rights of the kids. But are they? Ruby meets up with some other kids and the adventure begins.

While on the run, she discovers that the government is corrupt and society is barely functioning. The economy has crumbled and the president is basically a dictator.

This story does follow a scenario that we've seen before. Kids against the government. But, I enjoyed the tension as well as the romance, and never lost interest in the plot. The characters are ones that I would like to visit again, and I care about the outcome.

I especially enjoyed the constant dilemma of what do we define as "free." Even when the kids get to what they think is a "safe" place, with all the comforts they've missed -- they discover it might not be what they thought. Deception is everywhere....decisions are difficult.

The Darkest Minds is one to give to your dystopian fans for sure. The Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner -- fans of these books will not want to miss The Darkest Minds. The second book in the series, Never Fade, will be released in October, so you want to be sure you read The Darkest Minds ASAP!

Published by Hyperion, 2012
Copy obtained from the library
488 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one as well. I have Never Fade ready to go and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a book I've wondered about having seen it at the bookstore. I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if it wasn't anything new. I will definitely check it out and recommend it to my kids. ;) Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Annette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to read this one. Your review has convinced me I should give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one and can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Never Fade:) I heard it's even better than the first. Great review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...