Monday, August 19, 2013

Book Review: Beatle Meets Destiny, by Gabrielle Williams

What a sweet, romantic book. Beatle Meets Destiny is not your cookie-cutter romance book, and it left me with a good feeling.

Beatle (real name John Lennon) is superstitious. And, when he starts up a conversation with a girl at a bus stop on Friday the 13th, he knows something is bound to go wrong. The girl's name is Destiny (last name Mccartney!) so that's a sign, right?

And Beatle is a twin. But Beatle was born in December, and his sister, Winsome, was born 45 days later--in February.

Beatle and Destiny really hit it off. There's only one problem. (Well, there turns out to be more than one, but this is the big one.) Beatle has a long-term girlfriend who he really likes. But he really likes Destiny. The overall plot of Beatle Meets Destiny is Beatle trying to deal with his guilt, and deciding what to do about his relationships with these girls. It just gets more complicated. Beatle's English teacher is Destiny's brother. Beatle's girlfriend is Winsome's best friend. And it gets even better, but I'll leave that for you to find out.

There are so many quirky details and colorful characters that make Beatle Meets Destiny stand out. The twists and turns make an already short book go by quickly. You will laugh out loud at some of the banter between Beatle and Destiny. There are just so many good things about this book. This easily could have been one of my Books You Can Read in a Day, but work got in the way, so I didn't quite make it.

I have to get on my soapbox for a minute. *steps up* I have read so many comments about books involving "cheating" that indicate people won't read books that deal with this topic. First of all, this one is about teenagers, and come on, you can't expect this not to happen. But even if it's a married couple, this topic doesn't turn me off. We all read books where morally inappropriate things go on. Ever read a murder mystery? A book about people who steal things? These are the topics that make books interesting. And even if you are appalled by infidelity in real life (as I assume you are about murder, etc.), why would you pick that one type of indiscretion to keep you from reading some really good fiction? Remember -- it's fiction -- meant to arouse your emotions...*steps down*

Beatle Meets Destiny wraps up with a hopeful, feel-good ending. And, like I said, the journey to get to the ending is unique and delightful.

This is a great book that I've had in my library for a while. But now I'm excited to recommend it to a whole bunch of teens that will really enjoy Beatle Meets Destiny. 

Published by Marshall Cavendish, 2010
Copy obtained from the library
340 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Oh I have never heard of this book before but now, I soo want to read i!!! It sounds super cute and I love romance so this sounds like the perfect book for me:))) Thanks Annette!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sold! I'll definitely be picking up this one, Annette. It sounds like a wonderfully realistic YA book. Thanks for sharing it - and for you soapbox speech. I agree with you wholeheartedly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one either, but since I love the Beatles I was immediately drawn to the cover. :D I guess the Beatles don't figure much into the story, but it sounds like a really cute read! Great review! I'm surprised that people are unhappy about the whole cheating thing - I mean this is fiction, I'm sure it's not a reflection on the reader if you pick the book up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...