Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book Review: Monsters, by Ilsa J. Bick

I was so excited for the conclusion to the Ashes Trilogy. But after spending four days reading Monsters I must confess I'm mostly disappointed.

The plot is so all over the place, and there are so many characters and different story lines that I'm going to direct you to the Goodreads summary instead of my usual summary.

Monsters was just too long. It took me four days (that's unheard of, for me) to read the almost 700 page tome. And I just didn't think it needed to be. There was so much detail and repetition. Going over what weapons everyone has, and which one would be best (over and over again) is just one example. I just felt Monsters could do with one more good edit (and I read the ARC, so we can hope...)

There was nothing to help you get back into the story and remember each character's situation and position at the end of Shadows. And there's so many different groups of characters. I eventually figured it out, but I still got confused. Oh, and then when I got to the END of the book, there's a cast of characters and where they were at the end of Shadows. Don't you think that should be at the BEGINNING???

The POV switched constantly and abruptly. We don't get to spend enough time in each POV before we are switched to another. The is particularly true when both Alex and "another character" are fighting the Changed in two different places. We get just a page or two and then are switched back and forth. It was like whiplash and as a literary technique, fell short.

And, to top is all off, I didn't like the direction the plot took. I can't say too much about this but to say I didn't like how much depended on what was going on "in their heads." You know what I mean if you've read it. This is merely a personal opinion, though, and you may really enjoy this unique plot.

I was excited to see how it all wrapped up.  At times, I thought about giving up, but there were enough exciting things happening to keep my interest. Monsters had some really tense and thrilling parts. The story was good, and I enjoyed revisiting the characters (the ones I could remember.)

I don't know how to recommend Monsters. I think if you are invested in the series, you have to go for it. It sounds like I really didn't like it -- I did, but it was just long and because of the other problems, it seemed even longer.

I'm still a Bick fan. I'm ready to read her next book -- I already have it.

Published by EgmontUSA, September 10, 2013
eARC obtained from NetGalley
688 pages

Rating: 2.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I didn't read the review since i have not read the book yet but I am anxious to get to it and wanted to check out your rating. Doesn't look like you enjoyed it much. Sorry to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pov changes really can dampen a read

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...