Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Book Review: Ten Tiny Breaths, by K. A. Tucker

Ten Tiny Breaths was not what I expected, but I did enjoy my time with this story.

Kacey and her sister have run away from their aunt and uncle in in Michigan and arrived in Florida. Four years ago, Kacey was involved in an accident that killed her mother, father, best friend and boyfriend. She's understandably had a hard time adjusting after her aunt and uncle took her and her sister in, but when her uncle propositions her little sister, that was it. Kacey decides to take her sister and run.

She finds an apartment for them and a job at Starbucks. Her sister enrolls in high school. Kacey's only concern is that her sister gets to go to Princeton, and she will do anything to make that happen.

I thought Ten Tiny Breaths was going to be more about Kacey's emotional difficulties, and while it is, nothing really happens in the first 80% of the book except a developing romance with the guy next door, Trent. And, while this romance is anything but smooth, it is very romantic, and hits all those buttons. Trent seems to be "perfect," but he's hiding problems of his own too. Most of the time, I just got a "typical romance" vibe.

The other very enjoyable part of Ten Tiny Breaths is Kacey's developing friendship with her neighbor, Storm, and her daughter Mia. Storm is a stripper, but surprisingly, she ends up helping Kacey more than anyone, and I enjoyed these characters and their relationships the most.

Then, there's a big twist about 80% through Ten Tiny Breaths, and I didn't see it coming. I think maybe some people will figure it out, but for whatever reason, I didn't. After this revelation, I really liked where the story went. This is what I wanted Ten Tiny Breaths to be.

Ten Tiny Breaths is rightfully categorized "new adult." The sexuality of the book (the scenes as well as the themes) would cause me to only recommend this to the most mature teens.

The second book in the series, One Tiny Lie, is about Livie, Kacey's sister. Even though I enjoyed Ten Tiny Breaths, I think I'm going to pass on the sequel. I just don't care enough about Livie and Ten Tiny Breaths has a satisfying ending that needs no more explanation.

Published by Atria Books, September 24, 2013
eARC obtained from NetGalley
288  pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...