Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Book Review: Illusions of Fate, by Kiersten White @kierstenwhite

I enjoyed Illusions of Fate because of the unique take on some magical elements and the all-around entertainment value.

Jessamin has left her simple island life and her mother to attend school in the big city of Albion. She chances upon a handsome man named Finn, and for some reason their paths keep crossing. Jessamin is a poor student supporting herself by working in a hotel. Finn seems to be very rich and possibly a member of the aristocracy. So why is he being so nice to Jessamin?

It turns out the nobility has magic, and Jessamin gets in the middle of a power struggle. Evil Lord Downpike has learned of Finn's attraction to Jessamin, so he's using her to get what he wants from Finn.

The magic is unique and entertaining. I did have a problem with the shadow thing. It seems because Finn is attracted to Jessamin, his shadow now belongs to her so she has two shadows? This wasn't explained very well and left me a bit confused. I loved the rest of the magic. The bird, the walking stick, the doors that lead to other places, the letter writing -- all very intriguing.

I enjoyed the characters. Jessamin is feisty, but not too stupid. As much as she wants her independence, she realizes she needs Finn's protection. I found this refreshing after reading so many novels where the heroine makes stupid decisions again and again just because she must not be tied down.

I enjoyed the romance. It wasn't too big of a secret, but it also didn't happen too fast. The secondary characters add a lot. Lord Downpike is very easy to hate. And Jessamin's friend, Eleanor, is a true friend.

The ending was quite a shocker. It all happens a bit quickly, but I didn't see that coming. Stunning.

All in all, I was very entertained and I couldn't put Illusions of Fate down. I'm sure there are many teens to whom I will be recommending this book.

Published by HarperTeen, September 9, 2014
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
288 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read.I struck out with White's last book but I do plan on reading this one. Hopefully I will have better luck this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to see you liked this one. Its on my fall TBR list. I haven't seen any reviews yet so yours makes me a great start. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...