Friday, September 24, 2010

April Fool, by William Deverell

This was a colorful book about a retired lawyer who comes back to the courtroom to defend an old client who has been accused of murder.  It takes place in Canada, and the retired lawyer, Arthur, lives in a small rural town and spends his time raising goats and gardening.  The side story is that Arthur's wife is staging a sit-in up a very large tree to try to save the forest from being developed.  There are many colorful characters, and the story is very light hearted -- no suspense here, although we really don't know "who done it" until the very end of the book.

The colorful descriptions of the small town, the sit-in, and the trial caused the introduction of so many characters that at times I became a little confused.  I decided that remembering each character wasn't really important to the main and sub plots, and ended up enjoying the book.

This was the first book that I read on my new Kindle, and I really enjoyed it.  I found myself reaching up to turn pages a few times, as if I were holding a book.  My favorite thing is being able to enlarge the size of the text so I don't have to wear my reading glasses.  Even though I had to turn pages more often, the lack of glasses really made me happy . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...