Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Review: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Re-Read)


I very seldom re-read a book, but with Orson Scott Card’s recent new releases, I wanted to go back and read Ender’s Game again. I really enjoyed it, after over 20 years.

Card writes a science fiction, world is gonna end, hardcore war story. Ender is 8 years old when the story begins, and he’s a “third.” That means his parents got special permission to have a third child because their first two were so intelligent. The government is looking for a certain kind of student to train for their army. You see, they are anticipating another attack by The Buggers—creatures from outer space that take no prisoners, and are out to destroy everyone on the earth.

So, after much testing and training, Ender is conscripted into the army. He will not see his family (or Earth) until he is at least 12 years old. Ender does very well in school and combat training, but things are not all that they seem. And that’s the excitement of the story. And also the part I can’t tell you. The types of suits they use for battle training are very creative and well-described and are an example of what makes this book so appealing to the hard science fiction fan.

Ender’s Game is a quick read, and most assuredly a “boy book.” There’s action, and battles, and fights among the students. There’s a big battle at the end that determines the future of the world. What more could you ask for in a science fiction tale? If you haven’t read this one, and you are at all interested in science fiction and/or war books, you don’t want to miss Ender’s Game.  If you enjoy this one, the story continues in Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

Published by Tom Doherty (originally published in 1977)
Copy obtained from the library
324 pages


Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading Orson Scott Card's newest book Pathfinder and I can't say I'm enjoying it. I actually had to stop reading because I got bored. I think I try this one because of your lovely review though:) Thanks!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ender's Game is on of my Top 3 books of all time. I absolutely love it! I'm glad you enjoy it as much as I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this book. I think this series takes a real dip, and then improves again. Speaker for the Dead was excellent, Xenocide was only so-so, and Children of the Mind was nothing special at all. Then, after a many years long break, Card finds his mojo again, with Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon which I thought were excellent.
    Card is one of those writers who I occasionally find it difficult to enjoy because I've heard rumors that he's a bit of a jerk in real life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...