Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Memories - The Poisonwood Bible


Welcome to my meme, Monday Memories, where I feature favorite books we've loved from the past. You can link to an old review, or write something new about a beloved book from your past. Really, what's important is not the book, but why it is memorable to you. So, have fun reminiscing, and leave a comment below, so we can all enjoy your memories.
I picked up The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver many years ago upon the recommendation of a friend. I had always been a historical fiction lover, but this book made me realize that there's a lot of history besides the Holocaust and The Tudors. The Poisonwood Bible is about the Congo's fight for independence from Belgium. Huh? That doesn't sound that interesting.

Well, for one thing, Barbara Kingsolver wrote this, and she's one of those authors that can make anything interesting. The missionary family that narrates The Poisonwood Bible are such distinct, believable characters, that you feel like you are living with them. This is a long book, but worth every word. I can't recommend Kingsolver enough. If you like historical fiction you cannot miss out on this author.

I've also listened to Kingsolver's The Lacuna. Another absolutely stunning book. And a great audiobook. One of my all-time favorites. These books and this author have left an impression on me. Not only have I been thoroughly entertained, I've also learned a lot from reading Kingsolver's work. I'm looking forward to reading some more of her books.

Share one of your cherished book memories!

You can do a Monday Memories post on your blog. Copy my button and link back here, so others can see all the other posts.  Leave a comment below with the link to your post.

Or, just leave one of your Monday Memories right here in the comments.

Be sure to visit some other blogs that have posted their links. Thanks!







Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about this book for forevver, but have yet to read it-- sounds like I definitely need to. The Congo's fighting for independence from Belgium is a part of history I've literally never read about; I'm also wayy guilty of hearing "history" and thinking "the Tudors" & "England". Glad it has become such a memorable book for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too! I was already a fan of historical fiction when I read it, but I think this is the book that turned me into an armchair traveller, always interested in reading books set in other countries. I liked The Lacuna, but not as much as I liked this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...