Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 - Statistically Speaking

I like to do these summary posts mostly for me, so I have a record, but if you are interested, here's my reading accomplishments for 2014.

You can see the detailed list of all my reviews on my 2014 Review Archives Page.

I'd also like to mention that really I'm posting about books I reviewed in 2014 -- I think there were a couple reviews at the beginning of the year of books I actually read in 2013. Likewise, I already have a review ready to post in 2015 of a book that I read in 2014. It just gets confusing if I try to keep track of all that, and it's pretty much a wash anyway.

If you are interested in favorite books of the year, you can check out my 2014 End of Year Book Survey.

The numbers:

I read 153 books in 2014, which was actually 14 less than the 167 I read in 2013. That's two years in a row I've read less books! What's up with that?

If you look at number of pages, I read 56,824, which is MORE pages than the 55,794 I read last year. So I guess that means that I read longer books in 2014. Average book length: 361 pages. This beats my all time high of 56,790 pages I read in 2011.

87 of the books I read were e-books, and 14 were audiobooks. Pretty close to 2013 numbers.

Average book rating (out of a scale of 5) was 3.9. This may seem a bit high, but I never give "1" rating -- if a book is that bad, I don't finish it. I DNF (did not finish) 11 books this year -- that might be a record. And I rarely give "2" ratings (only 1 this year). 26 books got a 5/5 rating this year. That's about 17% of the books I read, close to the 18% from 2013.

Here's a link to my 2013 statistics, for comparison.

Reading Challenges:

Here's a link to my 2014 Reading Challenges Summary Page

The You Read How Many Books Challenge, hosted by My Overstuffed Bookshelf: I read over 150 books, so *completed!*

The 2014 Ebook Challenge hosted by Workaday Reads: I challenged myself to read 75 Ebooks. I read 87. *smoked it!*

The Library Books Reading Challenge, hosted by Book Dragon's Lair: I challenged myself to read 50 library books. I read 43. Much different than 2013. Hmmm. Not sure why. *fail*

And, the Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge, hosted by ME! I challenged myself to read 25 books in a day. I read 23. Darn. *just missed!*

I'm hoping that 2015 will be about the same. I would always want to have bigger numbers, but I'm pretty happy with my numbers from 2014, and if I do that well this year, then I'll be happy with that!

How did your year go? Did you meet your goals? Are you surprised by anything? What about 2015? Are your goals the same, or are you making adjustments?

Thanks for visiting and Happy Reading!






Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Way to Go! I got closer to my yearly goal of 150 books but still not quite there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't give 1 stars either or many 2 stars. I do give a lot of 4 stars I found. i think I just love to read and I am not too picky. Great stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also consider myself pretty good at knowing which books I'll like just from reading the description. Experience helps. Although, I do make mistakes sometimes. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a great reading year! I need to get better about just DNFing a book; I always feel bad for giving them up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...