Monday, November 22, 2021

Book Review: Wish You Were Here, by Jodi Picoult

Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult book cover and review
I'm not sure I'm ready for books about the Covid epidemic, but Picoult is a favorite, and I figured Wish You Were Here would handle the topic well. Picoult did.

Diana is sure she's about to get a promotion and have her dream job at the art auction house, Sotheby's. She's sure that Finn, her boyfriend, is going to propose on their upcoming trip to the Galápagos Islands. She will be married by 30, have kids by 35, and move to the suburbs.

Then, a virus hits New York, and Finn is a surgical resident who cannot leave. Diana reluctantly agrees to go by herself on their planned trip. When she arrives, everything is shut down. She has no place to stay, no luggage, no cell reception, and all the stores and restaurants are shut down.

Diana is forced to rely on the kindness of strangers while frantically trying to get in touch with Finn. She knows she will be stuck on this island for a while. She has a lot of time for soul searching and reevaluating just what is important in her life.

And then...

Well, I'm not going to finish that thought. 

It is interesting, and I read Wish You Were Here very quickly. Not my favorite Picoult by far, but timely and not too depressing. Although it is a little bit. If you think you can handle a book about the recent life-changing events we are still living through, this is a good one.

Published by Ballantine, November 30, 2021
eARC obtained from NetGalley
336 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2021 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I finished this recently (no review yet) but I was like WHAT? I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a Picoult novel in years, but this one sounds good. Thank you for reminding me about her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...