Monday, January 30, 2023

Book Review: Just the Nicest Couple, by Mary Kubica

Just the Nicest Couple by Mary Kubica book cover and review
Just the Nicest Couple is a domestic thriller that kept my interest and surprised me.

Our first narrator is Christian, whose wife, Lily confessed that she was accosted by a man while in the park, and she thinks she may have killed him. She knows she hit him several times in the head with a rock in order to escape.

The man, Jake, is the husband of Lily's colleague, Nina. They both teach at a high school and are friends. Nina is our other narrator. Since she and Jake had a bit of a fight, when he disappears she thinks Jake, a local doctor, has left her.

Lily doesn't go to the police (otherwise there wouldn't be a novel) and as she and Christian work to cover her tracks, you can just see a big trainwreck coming. It's one of those novels where you just want to scream "No! That's a really bad idea!"

And while Lily is covering her tracks, Nina is trying to convince herself that Jake will come back. She files a missing persons report after realizing that he hasn't been coming to a job to which he is totally dedicated.

After the cringe moments of the coverup, we begin to get some idea that maybe there are some more secrets yet to be revealed. And of course, there are. And a couple of red herrings. Love that. I thought I knew what the big reveal was gonna be, but I was wrong! 

So if you are in the mood, I would recommend Just the Nicest Couple. You are sure to be entertained. The only other Kubica book I've read is The Other Mrs., and I really enjoyed that too. I think I need to put some more of her books on my list.

Published by Park Row, January 10, 2023
eARC obtained from Edelweiss+
320 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2023 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, I may add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to add this to my TBR list; it sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...