Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Outlander, and impressions of my Kindle

I completed my second Kindle book, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. This was a really entertaining book -- a different kind of book for me, at least recently. I used to read all kinds of historical romances, but haven't visited that genre for quite some time. I really enjoyed the Scottish geography and history in the book, as well as the steamy romance. It is advertised as a time travel romance, so I was picturing more of a Time Traveler's Wife type adventure, but my picture was incorrect. I wasn't disappointed, though. I found the book compelling and had trouble getting anything else done, especially during the second half of the book.

Through a supernatural event, Claire is transported to the 1700s in Scotland. She has a difficult time keeping her secret and at the same time adjusting to her new life. She is a nurse, so is able to impress the locals with her healing powers. She is forced to marry Jamie, and then the big adventures begin, one after the other. The romance is tender, the characters are colorful, and the book is delightful.

As I said, I read this on my Kindle (this book was actually FREE from Amazon), and since the book is about 600 pages long, I got more acquainted with this device. I still love it. If you want it to feel more like a book, you might like a case that protects the device and opens like a book. Some of these cases come with book lights built in, but since I don't read in the dark much, I haven't felt the need for a light yet. I never used a book light to read a book, so I don't think I'll need one to read my Kindle. I don't want to have a case on the Kindle while I'm reading -- I love the feel of the back of the device -- sort of suede-like. I had thought I might get some sort of cute skin, but I don't want to cover up that soft surface. I purchased a Timbuk2 case, memory foam, fur-lined, Velcro closure that I am really happy with. It protects the Kindle and doesn't add much bulk. The only minor complaint I have is the keyboard at the bottom of the screen. You don't really use the keyboard that much, and I find I would like to rest my thumbs right where the keys are, but if I'm not careful, I press keys by accident. This isn't a big deal, just something I've noticed, and I'm not really sure what the solution would be anyway -- there's nowhere else to put the keyboard -- maybe the ability to lock it?  I love that it has a built in dictionary because I'm usually too lazy to look up a word when I'm reading a book, but there are always words that I want defined.  I read that one of the other ereaders doesn't have this feature (the Nook, maybe?)  That would be a deal breaker for me.  I have enjoyed being able to make the print larger, so I don't need to wear my reading glasses, which recently seem to have become a near-permanent fixture on my face. The print is clear, and causes no discomfort or fatigue.  It is a joy to read using my Kindle.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    It's good to see another Kindle lover! I love, love, love mine! Make sure you subscribe to the the thread over at Kindle boards so you can more free books.

    Oh, and I loved Oulander, up until what happened to you know who. Totally ruined the book for me :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...