Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dissolution by C. J. Sansom

A murder mystery set in the 1500’s makes very interesting reading.  The book’s main character, a lawyer named Shardlake, is sent by Cromwell to a monastery where another of Cromwell’s solicitors has been murdered.

First of all, the book taught me much about life in England during the Reformation.  There is also dissolutionmuch about life in a monastery, and the political atmosphere under King Henry, who was trying to do away with the Catholic church.

The mystery aspect of the book kept my interest.  I wouldn’t say this was a book that I just couldn’t put down, but I really wanted to find out “who did it,” and never considered not finishing the book.  The tension builds towards the end, and I hadn’t figured out the mystery until it was revealed.

This was a very satisfying read, and I would recommend it to those who like historical mysteries.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this book a few times in the library but something has put me off picking it up and I don't know what it is.

    Have you read any others by the same author?

    Sam at Tiny Library

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't read any other books by Sansom. I believe there are more books with the same main character, but for some reason, this is the one I had on my list. I saw a review somewhere . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annette;
    Nice review. I enjoy reading about times that I don't know much about. That would certainly qualify here. I think if I could choose to live in another time it would have been during the Civil War. I'm fascinated with that time.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...