Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Quit

I very rarely cannot finish a book, but I have to tell you, I gave up on After the Moment by Garret Freymann-Weyr.  I've read good things about the book, but I don't really know what it's about.  I like to read books without reading too much about them; sometimes I don't even read the flap.  However, after 120 pages (of a 320 page book) I still don't know what this book is about.

I kept wondering why I couldn't keep the characters straight, and I think it was because there was not much character development -- they all seem very one dimensional.  I had trouble in several places with the pronouns -- in a conversation between several people, I couldn't figure out to which "she" the author was referring.

Here's what I know.  At the beginning of the book, Leigh sees a long lost acquaintance, Maia, at a party.  It is obvious there is unpleasant history between these two.  After those first five pages, we read over 100 pages of past history, in which not much happens (Maia is anorexic and a friend of Leigh's half sister, Millie.  Millie's father has recently died, and Leigh goes to live with his father and Millie's mother.)  Then we get a few paragraphs about seeing Maia at the party, and nothing additional is revealed.  Then back to the past story.

I guess I just didn't have patience for this book.  It's a quick read.  I just couldn't wait for something to happen.  I suspect something good happens, because like I said, I've read good things about this book.  So, maybe I'll take another shot at it some other day.  Let me know if you think I should . . .

1 comment:

  1. I finished this book but I didn't like it either ... I gave it a one star, which in my rating means, don't even bother! --Looks like we have similar tastes. :)

    http://booksthattugtheheart.blogspot.com/2010/06/after-moment.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...