Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Book Review: Clockwork Angel, by Cassandra Clare @cassieclare

Cassandra Clare writes great characters and exciting plots, and Clockwork Angel is no exception.

Tessa has come to London to meet her brother after their Aunt, who was Tessa's guardian, dies. She is very excited to see Nate and begin her life in London. But, she is kidnapped by the Dark Sisters, two women who force Tessa to perform feats she didn't know she was capable of. Like shape shifting.

Tessa is rescued and is brought to the Institute, where she meets several Shadowhunters. These people hunt the bad things in the world, vampires, demons, werewolves (downworlders), to keep the humans (mundanes) safe. All Tessa cares about is finding Nate.

Oh, gosh, that really suffers in the re-telling. I'm no Cassie Clare. Suffice it to say, the plot is a bit complicated, and I don't want to reveal too much. It involves good against evil -- and sometimes it isn't clear which is which. There are many different paranormal creatures and gifted people that are introduced and play a part. There are even mechanical robots.

The characters are the best part of Clockwork Angel. Tessa is confused and trying to figure out what's going on, and she does mature some throughout the book. Will and Jem are priceless -- their banter and their interactions with Tessa are entertaining. The bad guys (I won't say who) are extremely disturbing, so that I got chills a couple of times. Henry is funny, Charlotte the appropriate mother figure, Jessamine the questionable "friend."  Every side character is important and has a distinct personality. The touch of romance is just perfect. I'll be interested to see where that aspect goes in the next book.

It all comes together in a big show-down (well there are some little ones first) and huge secrets are revealed, and many more questions introduced.

This is one of the worst reviews I've ever written. Clockwork Angel is long. It's complex, but that makes it entertaining. I did enjoy it, but I think it may be even too complicated for the average paranormal reader. It takes an investment, and you aren't finished after just this one book. Of course fans of The Mortal Instruments will enjoy Clockwork Angel. I'm glad the second book, Clockwork Prince, is out because I"m afraid I'll forget all the intricacies of this one if I wait too long to read the next one.

Published by Margaret K. McElderry, 2010
Copy obtained from the library
476 pages

Rating: 4/5




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I still have not read the series, but did grab a copy when it was discounted on Amazon. Thanks for your review. I can't wait to make the time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you will definitely have to read Clockwork Prince soon because I think it was even better than CA. I actually reallllly adore this series, I think even more that the Mortal Instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This did have complex moments and yet captivating. You're right about following up to the sequel right away ..I think I'm on the wait too long category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassandra Clare has done it again. Clockwork Prince was absolutely stunning. It is far superior to the other books in the trilogy in almost every respect. I'd even say it's my favorite Cassandra Clare book so far.

    regards,
    russel of Plumber Seattle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...