Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Memories - Ringworld


Welcome to my meme, Monday Memories, where I feature favorite books we've loved from the past. You can link to an old review, or write something new about a beloved book from your past. Really, what's important is not the book, but why it is memorable to you. So, have fun reminiscing, and leave a comment below, so we can all enjoy your memories.


I haven't posted one of these for a while -- too many reviews to post, and I hate to clog up your readers with  more than one post per day....but I thought of a good one for this week. Most of the challenge of this meme is reaching way back into my mind over all those books and recalling a book special enough to include in this post.
Ringworld, by Larry Niven was originally published in 1970. I probably read it some time during my high school science fiction phase, which would have been in the late '70s. I haven't read it since then, but reading about the book for this post has made me want to. I don't remember the details, but it's about a world built on a ring -- a huge ring, about three million times the surface area of earth. The inside is habitable, but when they decide to explore it, there's cities and what appears to be civilizations, but no inhabitants. They, of course, have a huge, dangerous adventure.

I remember the book being riveting. I wouldn't tolerate a slow, boring book with too much science. This is also the first book in a series. I read the second, Ringworld Engineers, but I think that's all (and I think it had a bit too much science for me). I did really enjoy sci-fi at one point, and read many of these types of books -- this one stands out as a great one (and it has the awards to prove it!)


Share one of your cherished book memories!

You can do a Monday Memories post on your blog. Copy my button and link back here, so others can see all the other posts.  Leave a comment below with the link to your post.

Or, just leave one of your Monday Memories right here in the comments.

Be sure to visit some other blogs that have posted their links. Thanks!


My ARC Giveaway continues for a few more days. Check it out!





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful choice Annette. I haven't thought about this book in years, but it was a wonderful read. Nice memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really went through a Science fiction phase and even now I'm not to keen on it. I do like though that you said they have a big adventure. That always makes a book better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...