Friday, August 24, 2012

TGIF: Reading Assignments for High School


Happy Friday everyone! Ginger's question is a good one for me, since I'm a high school librarian. I think about this quite often.


Back to School Reading: Which books would you like to see in today's high school Literature classrooms?

The first one that comes to mind is: Wonder, by R. J. Palacio. Actually, this should really be read in middle school, but I couldn't not mention it.










I think Want to Go Private? is a great book for lots of discussion too.











There are so many great, recently published book for teens. Sometimes I think English teachers only consider classics, and while that's OK, I wish they were more willing to explore some more recent books.

Great question. Thanks, Ginger. I know you are "taking a break" from this meme, but I hope to see it back soon! Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by!




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I agree that classics are wonderful, but I wonder if teens have a hard time connecting with them. I often read a current book and think that it would be great for so and so class (not always lit class, but also econ, psych, etc.) and I wish they would incorporate outside reading a little more in their curriculum. I remember for my AP Gov class having to read three different novels and write reports on how they related to the subject matter learned in class. I loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea for the second book --- it would generate some good discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that more of my high school teachers had included more contemporary titles in the curriculum instead of just the classics. Or they could have encouraged us to read more on our own - student selected titles. I may have been more prone to reading the assigned books instead of just the Cliff's Notes.

    There are so many wonderful YA titles today that it would be terrible to not include them in the curriculum.

    I haven't read either of these titles that you have recommended, but their topics are perfect for classroom discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...