Monday, May 27, 2013

Book Review: Night School, by C. J. Daugherty

Night School isn't a typical boarding school book. It's not a light-hearted teen spy book. It's not a paranormal. It's rather dark and mysterious and I enjoyed figuring it all out.

Allie has had many problems at school and with the law since her brother suddenly disappeared. As a last straw, her parents send her to a boarding school in the middle of nowhere called Cimmeria Academy.

From the moment Allie arrives, she feels like things are being kept from her. She knows the school has secrets and also feels like she doesn't belong with the type of students that attend.

She also begins a relationship with a boy and immediately makes enemies. She also makes a friend. But still, they are all keeping secrets.

So the thrust of the book is Allie figuring out the secrets. She has to be told some of them because the school is in danger. There are violent acts and dangerous people -- Allie just doesn't know who they are.

Night School is a bit slow getting started. We meet the characters and the bonds begin to form, but the mysteries aren't confronted until well into the book. Once Allie begins to question more and figure more things out, Night School got a lot more interesting. I did think the concept of the school -- the "secret" about Cimmeria Academy -- is a unique one, and I'd like to know more.

The "bad guy" didn't frighted me enough. I really didn't ever feel Allie was in that much danger. He didn't really even show his face very much.

There is a scene where Allie is almost taken advantage of by a boy and nothing happens. She doesn't tell anyone, and this is like a non-issue. I didn't like the way this was handled. I know there was a lot more going on at the time, but she actually forgives this person and it rubbed me the wrong way. I think he should have had to face some consequences.

I did become more and more invested in Night School as I went, even with the flaws mentioned.

Night School sure seems like the first book in a series, but I didn't find any specific information about a sequel. Night School wraps up fairly nicely, although the "big danger" is still out there, and many questions are unanswered. I would be interested in revisiting these characters.

Published by Katherine Tegen Books, May 21, 2013
Copy obtained from Edelweiss
432  pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I have this one downloaded and ready to go. I might have to push it up on my tbr list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you mostly enjoyed it, I agree about the 'Bad Guy' thing, he is a bit distant, although he shows himself a bit more in book 2.
    The 'taking advantage of' is also brought up again, but you're right something should have been done about him. I really didn't like him in this book, I'd be interested to see what you think of him after book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about this book (and its sequel, from those international bloggers who have read it), so I'm pretty excited to read Night School. While I'm looking forward to hearing what the unique secret behind the school is, I am really disheartened to hear that the main character downplays an attempted attack. I have a review copy of this, it's been sitting in my TBR for ages, so I'll probably still give it a go. But that will definitely rub me the wrong way too. Lovely honest review, Annette!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...