Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Audio Book Review: The Confession, by John Grisham

It's been quite awhile since I've read a John Grisham book, and that's a shame. I thoroughly enjoyed The Confession, and am ready for more Grisham.

The story is about a black teen, Donte Drumm, who is on death row in Texas for raping and killing a classmate. He's been on death row for 9 years, and his execution is within the week when the story begins.

Keith Schroeder is a Lutheran minister in Kansas. A man named Travis Boyette visits him on Monday and basically confesses to the crime that Drumm has been convicted of. Boyette has been in prison, and has recently been released on parole. He claims he has a brain tumor and is about to die. He wants to help save Drumm. The execution is scheduled for Thursday.

It's a twisted, exciting, and very dramatic tale as we follow Keith as he tries to help Boyette make things right. We also follow Drumm's attourney as he does everything possible to get the execution stopped. He has worked to free Drumm for nine years, and he's desperate as his time is running out. It's so frustrating to realize the ineptitude and downright corruption of the legal system that has put Drumm in this position.

I realize that Grisham goes into excessive detail sometimes, and can really drag a story out. But he does it so well, that I never felt The Confession drag. I was hanging on every word.

The narrator, Scott Sowers, does a great job with the characters and the narration.

The Confession definitely took some turns I wasn't expecting and I enjoyed the ride as well as the ending. I'm a fan. I just like the way Grisham tells a story. I've read a lot of his books, and am always sucked right in when I start a new one. If you haven't read Grisham, give him a try.

Published by Doubleday, 2010 (Random House Audio)
Copy obtained from the library
432 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...