Monday, April 14, 2014

Book Review: NOS4A2, by Joe Hill

NOS4A2 is one of the most macabre books I've ever read.

The story is painstakingly described, with lots of details. At first, we don't understand how everything will fit together -- but it does. In one thread, we have Manx, a sinister man who picks up kids in his classic 1938 Rolls Royce and they are never seen again. He is able to take them to another place and time, where they will have Christmas every day.

The other story line involves a little girl, Victoria, who has a magic bicycle that she can ride over a bridge (that was torn down years ago) and find any thing or place she wants. The story encompasses Victoria's life, after she encounters Manx and escapes, and becomes a troubled young woman.

Manx is put in prison because of what he did to Victoria. He becomes ill, and is in a coma for ten years and then....well...I'm going to stop there.

Suffice it to say, it's creepy. Its violent. It's unbelievable horrid. Just think of any other synonym for those words. Hill is a master at creating the chill factor. There are some other main characters that have their own problems and add a lot of color to the story. Is it about vampires, as the title suggests? Not in the traditional sense.

I was compelled to finish this book, and for the most part enjoyed it. But, I really got tired of it. I had to know what happens, but I wish it had been trimmed by a couple hundred pages. It just went on and on, and the level of detail at times was unnecessary, especially for a book that's already 700 pages long. I really don't need to know what the character ate for breakfast. Yet, it was well written. The descriptions are vivid and the characterizations are unique and believable -- even while being unbelievable.

If you want to be creeped out to the max, definitely pick up NOS4A2.  And, by the way, also pick up Hill's other book Heart Shaped Box. It's shorter and just a creepy! If they can handle the violence and disturbing images, NOS4A2 is appropriate for teens too.

Published by William Morrow, 2013
eBook purchased
704 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I've had this one on my TBR pile for a while now. I really must get to it. Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll be reading this one. I don't like it when authors go overboard on details. I'm going to read Heart-Shaped Box when I get a chance.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm following you on twitter and bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...