Monday, October 6, 2014

Book Review: Burn by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Burn tells a compelling detective story involving one of the most macabre crimes I've ever heard of.

I think I've read one other Michael Bennett book, but it isn't necessary. Burn works well as a standalone. Bennett reminds me a lot of Alex Cross, with his devotion to family. (And I adore Alex Cross.)

This time Bennett is stuck with a new assignment, and a very undesirable one. Of course, he ends up investigating some really interesting (and heinous) crimes. He is pulled back to the Major Case Squad to investigate several diamond heists that have been occurring throughout New York City. But there's much more to this case than just stealing diamonds.

What I liked: As is typical, Burn is a quick, easy read that moves at a very brisk pace. It's impossible not to love Bennett because of the description of family and the romance. I also like that Patterson/Ledwidge aren't afraid to kill people. The good guys don't always get there in time, and victims die.

What bothered me: The politics and animosity between Bennett and his superior was overdone. I really don't know if this is realistic or not, but I got tired of Bennett always being treated unfairly, and then having to dig his way out of things. Fortunately, once the action began, this was no longer an issue.

The awful crime that ends up being the focal point is almost too unbelievable. Hopefully this one wasn't ripped from the headlines! But I'm probably just being naive.

The bottom line is, if you like James Patterson books, particularly those involving the detective Michael Bennett, you won't want to miss Burn.

Published by Little, Brown, and Co. (September 29. 2014)
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
432 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...