Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review: Tiger's Curse, by Colleen Houck

Tiger's Curse is a page turner. I never lost interest and the pace keeps you on your toes.

Tiger's Curse is fantasy. The main character, Kelsey, befriends a tiger while working at a circus. It turns out the tiger is really an ancient prince who has been cursed to live in a tiger's body. He has determined that Kelsey is the one that can help him break the curse.

Tiger's Curse is an exciting adventure and it's sweet at the same time. The characters were endearing. Kelsey, who is so compassionate, Ren, the tiger, who is obviously mad about Kelsey, and Mr. Kadam, the perfect side kick are the main characters.

Durga is the god that can release the curse. Kelsey is supposedly Durga's favored one. Kelsey accepts all this weirdness pretty easily. They have to travel all over India and figure out a lot of cryptic messages and symbols. It all happens quickly, but that also is what keeps the plot full of action. And, while they do get into some seriously dangerous situations, they always manage to figure out how to survive fairly easily.

I'm a tentative fantasy fan. I like my fantasy to have a lot of reality mixed in. And, Tiger's Curse went too far for my taste. There is just too much magic.  I have students that love these books, and they are often checked out. I don't hesitate to recommend this series. Most of my complaints are entirely personal.

If you enjoy a fantasy about lovable wild animals, Tiger's Curse is sure to entertain. The empathetic characters and fast pace will definitely keep your interest.

Published by Splinter, 2011
Copy obtained from the library
403 pages

Rating: 3.5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. The popularity of these books have waned a bit this year. Unfortunately so has the popularity of lots of series. Sigh. Thanks for a good and honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my review shelf for forever and ever and ever. I really need to read it. Thanks for the reminder! Glad you enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...