Thursday, April 30, 2015

Audio Book Review: The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz book cover and review
The House of Silk is a "new" Sherlock Holmes novel, billed as the first pastiche ever officially approved by the Conan Doyle estate.

It's been a while since I've read one of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, but from what I can remember, Horowitz does a good job getting the voice correct.

Watson is supposedly writing this book 25 years after these events, so in that way the story is a bit different, as he refers to current events occasionally.

The story is filled with Holmes' sleuthing and brilliant deductions. It is really two separate cases that end up overlapping. My only complaint is that the story drags in some parts.

One of the cases is to figure out what The House of Silk is, find it, and get rid of it. I must admit I was surprised at what The House of Silk actually was. I expected something more political, I think. Not really a disappointment, but a surprise.

I won't say too much about the plot, after all, that's what makes the reading experience. Just suffice it to say, if you enjoy Sherlock Holmes stories, you won't be disappointed.

Sir Derek Jacobi is the narrator of the audiobook and does a good job. I sometimes got Watson and Holmes confused, especially at first. I also thought his American woman accent was awful, but she doesn't have a big part, so it was not a big deal.

Published by Mulholland, 2011, Hachette Audio
Audiobook obtained from the library
304 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...