Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Book Review: The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian

The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian book cover and review
I totally forgot to write this review! And this book has been released a week ago!  Sorry....

I must admit being a bit disappointed in The Guest Room, but it's not really because of the book, it's because of my expectations. I don't really read blurbs very carefully and I had read The Night Stranger by Bohjalian that was a really creepy, macabre book, so I thought this would be more of the same. It wasn't.

Richard is hosting a bachelor party at his home for his younger, very immature brother. One of the friends hires some strippers which was to be expected. But these two women do a lot more than strip, and then all hell breaks loose and they murder their two body guards. Turns out they were kidnapped Russian girls being forced into prostitution against their will. The girls escape, leaving Richard's house in shambles. His wife and young daughter are traumatized as well as the other guys that were at the party. Richard's brother's wedding gets cancelled.

We also get the perspective of one of the sex slaves -- her background and how she ended up in this mess, as well as their attempt to flee.

It's a messed up situation. And the ending is just as messed up. No HEA here, just so you know...

The writing is great and the pace is pretty frantic. It's hard to put The Guest Room down at times as I anticipated how it was all going to turn out. I must admit I was a bit disappointed, but that's just my opinion.

The Guest Room is an adult book that I would only recommend to mature teens.

Published by Doubleday, January 5, 2016
eARC obtained from NetGalley
336 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I have a love/hate relationship with Bohjalian's books. Some of them I've really enjoyed, others (especially his newer ones) not so much. I haven't gotten to this one yet. Your review is making me think I might not give it a go anytime soon ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...