Saturday, July 23, 2011

Book Review: Graveminder, by Melissa Marr

Graveminder is one of the most unique paranormal books I have ever read. The creative plot kept me entertained most of the time, and a bit confused as well.

At first, there is much information, and it doesn’t immediately make sense. Maylene, and elderly lady, is murdered, and in the course of dealing with her death, the reader is introduced to many characters, some dead, some who have moved away, and some local. I had a hard time keeping track. The plot is also confusing. It is obvious that Maylene was different, but we aren’t sure in what way. Was she just eccentric? It also seems that many of the townspeople are in on a secret, but some aren’t, and it isn’t clear what this secret is.

Marr exposes the plot very slowly, and this is deliberate. I don’t really want to say too much about the specific premise, but it has to do with keeping the dead people dead. So, there’s kind of a zombie presence, for those dead that return, but it isn’t just a zombie book. The plot is complex and we learn more and more details as we read.

There’s a bit of romance between the main characters, Rebekkah and Byron. They have been close in the past, until Rebekkah moved away, and now when she comes back for the funeral, we see whether anything is left between these two.

The characters were interesting enough to keep me engaged. There’s a mystery as to why so many dead are coming back. There’s a unique setting – the underworld – that is very creative.

The book definitely kept me interested. It wasn’t the best paranormal I’ve read, but I would still recommend it. The resolution of the mystery wasn’t much, as far as tension, but was satisfying. This is an adult book, but is certainly appropriate for teens who are interested in the paranormal.

Published by William Morrow, May 17, 2011
Personally purchased copy
324 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said! Very unique but the pacing was a bit too slow for me and even the climax wasn't so climax-y. Still, great character development and interesting plot. Nice review!
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review I've been quite curious about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a fan of Melissa Marr, I have wanted to read this book for quite some time. I am a bit disappointed that this isn't as great as I had expected. Still, I would like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...