Monday, July 4, 2011

Monday Memories: Catcher in the Rye


Welcome to my meme, Monday Memories, where I feature favorite books we've loved from the past. You can link to an old review, or write something new about a beloved book from your past. Really, what's important is not the book, but why it is memorable to you. So, have fun reminiscing, and leave a comment below, so we can all enjoy your memories.

I also wanted to let you know about another wonderful blog that you should check out. Ashley @ Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing does a weekly post called Memory Monday. She has been posting about her childhood memories of books. What's great about Ashley's site is that she is asking for guest posts for her Memory Monday event!  So hop on over there and check it out. I'm hoping to do a guest post for her soon!

My oldest brother was 12 years older than me. So, when he was reading Catcher in the Rye, probably in college, I was something like 8 years old. I wanted to read it, because he talked about it. My mom wouldn't let me, because of the swearing and sex, I suppose. After he left, the book was still on the shelves, and eventually when I was in high school, I read it. It left pretty much no impression on me.

After Salinger died last year, I read the book again (after about 30 years.) I'm sure I appreciated it more, but I still didn't like it. I just don't like the "stream of consciousness" writing style. I understand why the book is acclaimed, and why it has been taught in literature classes. There is much to discuss. But to just sit down and read it for entertainment--it isn't my kind of book.

It is short, so everyone should read it at some point since there are so many literary references to Holden Caulfield, the main character.

My mom was pretty lenient, as far as reading goes. I was an avid reader, and mature for my age. This is one of the only books I can ever remember her telling me not to read (and with good sense, I might add....) She wouldn't let me watch The Graduate when it came out either. I remember I couldn't WAIT until I was old enough to see that movie!


Share one of your cherished book memories!

You can do a Monday Memories post on your blog. Copy my button and link back here, so others can see all the other posts.  Leave a comment below with the link to your post.

Or, just leave one of your Monday Memories right here in the comments.

Be sure to visit some other blogs that have posted their links. Thanks!





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I've not read this one, and think that as I'm not a teenager anymore, I've probably missed the right time to read it. My boyfriend has read it and said that the main character was very whiny and annoying :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this in my HS AP English class and did NOT like it. I'd like to read it again now that I've written a paper on it, and have more life experiences. It would be interesting to see how my opinion has changed.

    But I mean, really... No matter if it's intentional or not, literary device or whatever... You are not allowed to gripe about how the world is fully of phoniness when you are insanely phony yourself. Sigh. Holden pissed me off. The WHOLE time.

    Maybe I'll try it again. But I have a feeling it's going to be a repeat of my reread of Heart of Darkness, meaning nothing will change and I'll be left wishing my eyes would just bleed. :P

    Loved hearing your thoughts and I do definitely agree that this book is NOT for 8 yr olds!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...