Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Review: Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

I enjoyed Second Helpings much more than Sloppy Firsts. I always say that my mood has a lot to do with how much I enjoy a book, and maybe that’s the case this time. But, Jessica Darling just had me cracking up over and over in this book.

I enjoyed her snarky attitude and listening to her astute observations on high school relationships and life in general. The book is basically about her struggling with her decisions about what college to attend, still missing her best friend Hope, about her desire to have sex for the first time, and struggling with a difficult romance. So if you can’t handle that, you might want to steer clear. But, while there’s a lot of talk about having sex, there’s no explicit sex in the story.

Her wonderful grandma adds much humor and wisdom to the story. We all need a grandma like Gladdy! She becomes closer to Bridget, her old childhood friend, realizing that maybe Hope isn’t her only real friend. There’s a stint at summer camp for writers, and the usual high school senior year drama.

High school girls will really enjoy this one, especially if they enjoyed Sloppy Firsts.

Published by Broadway, 2003
Ebook purchased copy
349 pages (really? You couldn’t be one page longer to qualify for my challenge??)

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...