Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review: Wolfsbane, by Andrea Cremer


First of all, I just have to say, I absolutely HATE huge cliffhangers—stories that don’t have any conclusion to any part of the plot whatsoever. I feel like I’ve been given an incomplete book—like the author forgot to finish it before it was published. Wolfsbane is just this type of book, which I find disappointing.

Now that I have that out of my system, I’ll get on with my thoughts about the book. Wolfsbane picks up shortly after Nightshade ends. Calla wakes in a strange place, and she is reunited with Shay. They are with the Searchers, who want their alliance to fight a world war and defeat the Keepers.

There is a lot of tension, since it is difficult for Calla to trust the Searchers. Calla wants to go and rescue her pack, and the Searchers want to help her – but can she trust them? There’s danger, fighting, death, betrayal, and lots of action to keep the pages turning.

There’s also the romantic triangle, and the associated conflicting emotions to keep you entertained. I didn’t feel that this element was as big a part of the story in this book, and that’s OK with me. Instead, we got to know a lot of new and interesting characters and learn about a different set of morals and beliefs.

The life of the Searchers is interestingly described. There are different roles – strikers, reapers, weavers, the Guide, and the Arrow. The history of the Keepers is also described.  Cremer has created a deliciously complex world that makes sense – in a supernatural sort of way.

So things are a huge mess. Not much goes as planned. Searchers are dead. Guardians are dead. Some characters we thought were dead may not be dead. Alliances are made and broken. And then … you reach the last page.

It’s a great story that kept my interest. I pretty much flew through these pages. I’d recommend this to paranormal lovers. This series won’t disappoint. My only caution is that if you want a complete story, you may want to wait until the entire series is out before you begin reading it. It’s going to be a long wait….

Published by Philomel Books, July 26, 2011
ARC obtained through Banned Book Tours for review
390 pages (qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I hate cliffhangers too! I was planning to read the first book, but now I guess I will wait for the full series to release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I am still really looking forward to this book but the cliffhanger has me flinching. I mean, I totally understand leaving some loose ends when you have a series but I want the main plotline of that particular story TIED UP!! Gah! Again! Nice review :)
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...