Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book Review: Under the Never Sky, by Veronica Rossi

If you enjoy a kick-ass heroine and a slow-building, believable romance, you must get your hands on Under the Never Sky.


Aria lived in a pod. These have been built to protect people from the harsh conditions of Earth. In the pods, you can experience anything virtually by visiting the Realms. Aria and her friends try to outsmart the technology and Aria ends up in big trouble. Because she can implicate the son of one of the governors, she is thrown out of the pod to survive (or most likely, die) on her own.

Perry is an Outsider whose tribe is barely surviving this harsh terrain. He is a hunter, and prey is getting harder and harder to find. There are also Aether storms, powerful and deadly, that burn up anything in their path. Perry also doesn't get along with his brother, the leader of the tribe, so for various reasons (no spoilers here), Perry ends up leaving the tribe.

He meets Aria. This isn't as unbelievable as it sounds, since Perry has a heightened sense of smell.This sense allows him to sense other's feelings--just by their smell. So he can smell Aria from very far away. The rest of the book is their adventurous quest across this barren land. There are vicious tribes and animals, not to mention the weather to contend with. Aria is unbelievably naive at the beginning, but her transformation is exceptionally written. Perry changes too, and the absolute hate and distrust they feel for each other when they first meet, is eventually replaced with something else. This is totally the opposite of "insta-love." The romance in this book is absolutely perfect. Rossi builds this relationship so carefully that everything seems entirely natural-- or "destined" might be a better word.

But there's so much more than romance. There is an intricate plot to go along with it. Aria and Perry are both looking for something and it behooves them to work together. They must visit an "oasis" of sort, where we meet the colorful Marron. I really don't want to give to much away -- but it will definitely drag you in and hold you.

The side characters are also compelling. They each play a part, but seem to belong to this story. They don't just conveniently appear when needed -- they are part of the world. And what a world. I could feel the dirt and wind as they were travelling. I could see the Aither in the distance.....

Simply, I loved this book. I would call it more "post-apocalyptic" rather than dystopian, but I know it will get that label as well. These characters, I think, are what make the book so special. Or maybe it's the world building...it's all great. Just take my word for it. If this sounds like a book you would like -- you will!

Published by HarperCollins, January 3, 2012
Copy obtained from NetGalley
384 pages

Rating: 5/5




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. Such a good book. I really enjoyed the characters' interactions and fab descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world description reminds me of Incarceron and Sapphique. I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes YEs and YES - I couldn't agree with you more, this book ist just .. more!?

    I wouldn't even only describe it as Dystopian, I think it has elements of Fantasy and SciFi as well which I loved most the combination made this book so incredible compelling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading this book. I loved it. The slow burning romance that developed was amazing. I'm so happy she wrote it this way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is on my pile. I have read great reviews, so... I hope to read it soon ^^

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...