Saturday, February 11, 2012

Book Review: The Probability of Miracles, by Wendy Wunder

The Probability of Miracles is not about a teen girl with cancer, it's about a teen girl who learns to live, as she knows she is dying.

First of all, I don't know how anyone can write a book like this. I don't know what it's like to have cancer, of course I have loved ones who have succumbed to this disease, but it isn't the same. I felt that Wunder's story was spot-on.

Cam is sixteen, she's been fighting cancer for years, and she's got a snarky wit to go along with her disease. The news isn't good, but her mother and sister, Perry, haven't given up. They've decided to pack up and move to Promise, Maine, for the summer,, since there are rumors of miracles in this town.

They pack up their belongings in a U-Haul, and take off for the 1,500 mile trip -- stopping at Cam's friend Lily's house along the way. Lily is Cam's best friend, and they met while they were going through cancer treatments.  They also stop at Nana's house, Cam's grandmother. All of these characters are so genuine, I think I've met them in my own life.

Once they arrive in Promise, miracles do begin to happen, even though Cam doesn't see it that way. The romance is simply cute. It develops slowly, and Asher and Cam's banter will have you chuckling out loud. Yes it's sad, but it's inspiring too. All of the loved ones around Cam behave realistically. They don't always say or do the right thing, but neither does Cam. Cam's evolution from quitter to believer leaves a warmth in your heart. It's a slow, difficult journey, but satisfying.

I'm sitting here trying to think of something negative to say, and I can't...

Excellent pace, believable plot, characters to connect with...I would recommend this to teen contemporary and romance readers, with the caveat that if they are dealing with cancer in their lives, they may want to wait on this one. I think it would be too difficult for someone if this situation is too close.

Published by Razorbill, December 8, 2011
Personal copy purchased
357 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Note: I really didn't intend to read this in a day, but I couldn't put it down, and did it!)

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...