Friday, February 24, 2012

TGIF - School DAZE....

Ginger is making me feel old this week:


Required Reading: Which book from your school days do you remember reading & enjoying? Is there a book published now that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?


It's been so long, I can hardly remember what we read in high school. I know we read: Hamlet, Great Gatsby, and A Separate Peace. But my favorite was definitely The Outsiders. This book was about 10 years old when I read it in high school, and it was groundbreaking. It's about 45 years old now...you can do the math...

As for current books -- gosh, there are so many that I wish "every kid could read." I think the literature selection for high school student is only going to get "worse" (that is dictated by standards, and heavy on classics) with the new Common Core Standards. I'm not an expert, though, and I hope I'm wrong. And I do like the standards -- I think they are a step in the right direction! But, I digress...

I think every kid could read Ruth Septys Between Shades of Gray. Or, books like Jennifer Brown's Hate List or Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. There are many historical fiction books (my fav) that I've learned more history from than in any history class. Madame Tussaud comes to mind, only because I read it recently (Robespierre...I had NO IDEA!) There are many others. I could make a case for Harry Potter, if it really came down to it.

OK. I should stop now. I could go on. When you read as much as I do, this list could go on and on.....

Happy Weekend, everyone. Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to your answers to this one.




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

  1. Totally would vote for Harry Potter. And we read tons of books but I clearly remember Hamlet and of course Faust! I actually really liked Hamlet! :-))
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hate List would be a really interesting book to have for required reading! And I keep seeing the Outsiders pop up for a lot of people having read it in high school. I've never heard of it! I wonder if I am missing out on something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH, I need to read The Outsiders!! These are all great choices :)

    xo,
    La Toya (La Toya, Literally.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people think I'm crazy for my fav school read - Lord of the Flies. That book has stayed with me over the years and was full of positive messages, for me at least. It was such a marvellous example of the breakdown of society and surviving under pressure - a common theme nowadays. I keep finding books now that could be compared to LotF for school essays, like Maze Runner or Gone. It's funny which books we remember most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son liked this book when he had to read it in high school. And he's a very reluctant reader...(I have never read it.)

      Delete
  5. I am so glad I am not the only one having a hard time remember wayyyyy back then! LOL!! I completely forgot about The Separate Piece until you mentioned it. And what about Catcher in the Rye. I think I liked those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly, there are a TON of books that I would love to recommend as well for required reading! There's so much good material out there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...