Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Review: Forbidden Mind, by Kimberly Kinrade

Forbidden Mind is a gripping story of teens in a seemingly inescapable, but dire situation.

Sam reads minds. She's been raised in a special school for kids with paranormal gifts, and she has never met any of her family. After they are trained, these teens are rented out, usually to very rich clients, to do tasks for which they are suited. Usually for Sam, this involves spying (and of course reading minds.)

When the teens are 18, they are allowed to leave the school and pursue their own paths, attend college, and live a normal life. Sam will be 18 in a few weeks. When she returns from her last assignment, she sees something she shouldn't. A boy, strapped to a gurney, being brought to the school clinic. He cries out for help (in her mind.) This is unusual, because all of the students at the school are brought there when they are very young.

Soon Sam realizes she can communicate telepathically with Drake, the boy on the gurney. He has been brought to the school against his will, and is being drugged to keep him from using his powers -- super strength. And he can also read minds, like Sam. Together they discover that all is not as it seems at the school, and they are determined to do something about it, but how?

This is a short book that never quits. It has a scary premise, and the teens are very resourceful and creative in their attempts to discover the truth and escape. My only complaint is with the ending. The book ended at a good "stopping point" but that's all it was. A chapter ending. It felt very abrupt, and I would have liked a denouement.

I enjoyed the ride. It's an interesting premise, well-told.  I'm beginning to become attached to the main characters, but that's one of the problems I have with shorter stories--I need more time. Even the villains could have been more villainous, if given more pages. I'd be interested in reading more about Sam and Drake, I just think there could have been more about them in this installment.

Published by CreateSpace, 2011
eBook obtained from the author, for review
132 pages (I did read this in a day, but it's really so short that I'm not going to count it towards my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge.)

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. This actually sounds really awesome!! Like a paranormal story mixed with a good suspenseful plot. I'm glad you enjoyed it and it definitely looks something I might enjoy myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to read and review my book. Forbidden Fire just came out, and it's twice the length. I really appreciate the reviews that helped me improve my books and my writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...