Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: Mr. Popper's Penguins, by Richard and Florence Atwater

Mr. Popper's Penguins is a classic children's story that is silly and entertaining, as children's stories should be.

Mr. Popper loves to read about the South Pole and Admiral Drake sends him a penguin to keep as a pet. Well, you can imagine there are many obstacles to keeping a penguin, and eventually twelve penguins, in your house. Each obstacle is conquered with very sensible silliness.

I can imagine the children's belly laughs as you read this one aloud. The text is simple; the sentences are short and choppy, but rhythmic.

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm sure Jim Carrey is a wonderful Mr. Popper. The book was originally written by Richard, but after suffering a stroke, it was finished (and parts were re-written) by his wife Florence. It was originally published in 1938, but there is nothing to keep today's kids from thoroughly enjoying this wacky tale.

Published by Open Road (ebook)
eBook obtained from NetGalley
139 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: no rating




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet story, that the wife finished the book for her husband! Now I really want to read it! I remember the movie coming out, and I kind of wanted to see it but I felt like I needed to have a kid go with. But maybe now I'll just read it and see the movie on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bittner, you could always adopt a child for the day. I'm sure a mommy would love having an afternoon off.

    I'm not a Jim Carey fan, but this movie looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried this one last year with our oldest boy, but I think 5 turned out to bea a bit too young... We're hoping to try the movie soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of my absolutely favorite books as a kid! The movie was cute but holy cow, the book rocks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...