Friday, April 13, 2012

Follow Friday - Books that Shouldn't be Movies

It's kind of a backwards question this week. We've all thought about what book we'd like to see as a movie, but Alison and Parajunkee want to know:

What is one book that you would be nervous to see a movie adaption of because you think the movie could never live up to the book?

I really don't think ANY movie lives up to the book, simply because books are always more richly detailed. Most of the books I can think of are the long, epic books that have a lot of intricate settings. The first one that came to me is The Lacuna, by Barbara Kingsolver. There's no way...

A book that is more complex in language and feelings is also difficult to capture in a movie. Something like A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I don't think that would transfer well to the screen.

I also have doubts about something like Wonder, by R. J. Palacio. It also is a deeply felt story, and it is important that you never see the main character. I guess they could make the movie and never show him. It's a powerful book -- I'm not sure the movie would have the same impact.

(And no, I rarely follow directions and list just "one" when the question requires it. Sorry...It's my blog...)

Now, let me end all that by saying there are many very talented people that have impressed me with their movies. And, I'll be happy to eat my words if I see a great movie based on any of these titles. I don't presume to know anything about making movies, and those creative geniuses can surprise you!

Thanks for visiting and have a great weekend! And, I hope you read some great books. Can't wait to see this week's answers.





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. Haha...I went with a whole series so I guess I didn't exactly play by the rules either!

    New Follower

    Vikki @ V's Book Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monster Calls was pretty great. I loved the symbolism of the monster in it. Wouldn't translate too well.
    New follower http://www.fictionflaire.blogspot.in/2012/04/feature-and-follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think I have read any of those books. I will have to take a look as to why they wouldn't make good movies.

    You can find my FF here! CLICKY HERE! =D

    New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. My choice is a Patrick Ness book as well! The Chaos Walking trilogy makes me nervous.

    My follow friday. Please stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine what a CGI developer would say if they were handed a project like A Monster calls? "You want me to do what?" *head explodes*

    My FF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through. Is that the Wonder with the eye on the cover? I should read it some time.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there - Patrick Ness. I really need to read his books!

    Patricia // My FF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really...who follows rules these days? I agree that intricate books seem to be most in danger when it comes to the transition to movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of those books yet, so thank you for bringing them to my attention. Thanks for stopping by my FF post. Im a new follower of yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...