Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book Review: The Dark and Hollow Places, by Carrie Ryan


Oh my, Carrie Ryan just keeps it going. I continue to be mesmerized by her series, and just completed The Dark and Hollow Places.
 
This book is told from Annah’s point of view (be aware there may be some slight spoilers from the first two books here.) Annah is in the Dark City and continues to wait for Elias’ return. But she ends up meeting Catcher who knows where Elias and Gabry are. Annah hooks up with Catcher to get to them, but in the meantime, the city is being run over by a huge hoard of Unconsecrated, there are thousands of them, and there appears to be no escape. Elias is back with the Recruiters, but they’ve rebelled against the Protectorate, and they are now in charge. The Recruiters are not nice either. They are holed up at the Sanctuary, an island off the coast of the Dark City.

So, which way to turn? To the recruiters, who would imprison them in order to control Catcher, or to a hoard of Unconsecrated (sometimes called Plague Rats, in this volume)?

None of our beloved characters are EVER safe in this book. It is a constant battle for survival, trying to outwit the Recruiters and avoid the Unconsecrated.  They still long for freedom, and you know Ryan is going to put them through hell in hopes of attaining it. And these characters ARE beloved. This book is heart-wrenching, and takes your breath away at the close calls and misery they sometimes must endure. 

Ryan, once again, makes the reader feel connected to these characters and long for them to achieve all their hopes and dreams. There’s romance and tenderness as well as terror. All I can say is she’s done it again… keep it coming!

Recommend this to supernatural fans of all ages. It’s a sure thing….

Published by Delacorte, March 22,2011
ARC obtained from Random Buzzers (Thanks!!!)
374 pages (Qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)
 

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I'm so excited to read this! I made a special trip into town to buy this book the day it was supposed to come out....only to be told it doesn't come out in the UK till April 7th.....
    But still, I can't wait and great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such good things about this series, yet I haven't picked it up. I think the whole zombie thing has me a little freaked out. Hopefully I'll get over my weariness soon and start it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pre ordered it and CANT wait to read it. My favorite character in the dead tossed waves was Catcher and I've wanted to read more about him for awhile. Thanks for the review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't picked this series up yet. Your review really makes me want to read it...but the zombies! Creepy! Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for stoppin by, Annette!! do you have a pic of your german shepherd you can post?! I'd love to see!! =]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...