Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Book Review: Fire & Ash, by Jonathan Maberry @JonathanMaberry

Fire & Ash is a brilliant conclusion to the Benny Imura Series (or, is it now called the Rot & Ruin Series?)

The world building and complexity of the plot is what makes this series stellar, and Fire & Ash is no exception

I probably don't really need (or want) to say much about the plot. It's more of the story, so if you've read the first three, you know what I"m talking about, and if you haven't, well, go read my reviews of Rot & Ruin, Dust & Decay, and Flesh & Bone. The world has been attacked by a killer virus that makes everyone turn into zombies when they die. There are a lot of zombies!

But, this is so much more than a zombie series. Yes, I love the violence and all the encounters with them. But the other stuff is my favorite part. The REAL bad guys aren't the zombies, and I don't want to say much more about that.

Maberry is a master of reminding you of things that happened in the other books without just retelling the entire story.  He gets the characters to discuss or explain something that happened, and all of a sudden it all comes back. I really enjoyed delving back into this world. It was very easy to do.

There is so much character growth. Our main characters are forced to grow up because of the horrible situations they must face. And they face every challenge with such bravery and creativity.

I'm so happy with the ending. It takes a lot to get there. Fire & Ash is a long book! But, it reads incredibly fast for two reasons. It's action packed and never stops. And it has short chapters and there are a LOT of half pages. You will fly through once you get going.

I don't have anything bad to say about Fire & Ash. I will recommend this series to every teen who is an adventure/survival fan (and I do). You don't have to love zombie books to love this series. But of course, it helps.


Published by Simon & Schuster BFYR, 2013
Copy obtained from the library
537 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. You and I are of the same mind about this series Annette. I think it's one of the best coming of age stories out there. Definitely deserves its 5 hat review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...